STRUCTURAL DESIGNER - INTERMEDIATE
TWS Engineering Ltd. an Edmonton based engineering firm that specializing in engineering consulting and design work across most of Canada and has provided excellence in engineering consulting services since 1977. Our clientele includes the full spectrum of sectors within the construction industry. We offer full consulting and design service to our clients from the conception of a project, through construction and into maintenance. We practice in the mechanical, structural, civil, electrical, power quality, instrumentation and controls engineering disciplines. In addition, we offer forensic engineering services and power quality engineering. We are deeply committed to sustainable design and minimizing our footprint on the planet while maintaining maximum value for our client.
The team at TWS is comprised of loyal employees who are passionate about their work. We encourage a fun learning environment and encourage employees to foster strong peer and client relationships. We have an office environment built on respect, where everyone is considered an essential and valuable member of the team. We are committed to helping our staff reach their full potential. We provide the tools, training, and project experience that will allow you to grow professionally and personally.
Skills and Basic Qualifications:
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Knowledge of doing structural conceptual designs and construction drawings for buildings and structures using AutoCAD or Revit. Revit and Bluebeam experience/knowledge is highly desirable.
- Excellent understanding and experience in using structural modeling using RISA, STAAD, SAFE, and knowledge of other finite-element programs (e.g., ETABS, and SAP).
- Knowledge of preparing working drawings to include general arrangements, foundations, structures in steel, masonry, timber, and concrete.
- Performs field work as directed by a senior engineer/designer.
- Perform construction field inspections and review shop drawings.
- Performs calculations to analyze and design individual building components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Assists with engineering duties on projects of various complexity.
- Assists with collecting data and gathering information to support design decisions.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the senior engineering staff.
- Good at report writing.
- Willing to work in a team and individually.
- Familiar with permit drawings.
- Excellent communication skills (interpersonal and written) and proven ability to collaborate with team members in a multi-disciplined environment.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, building program and other similar material.
- Must be able to do site measurements for as-builts and structural assessments.
- Knows how to design to code, and very familiar with NBCC and other codes.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to the attention of Terry Smith P.Eng.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer real advancement potential within a team environment where outstanding performance is rewarded. You won't get lost in the numbers here, but rather enjoy positive guidance as you learn, grow and create an impact.
Pay rates or salaries will be based on experience and current market standards. Only selected candidates will be contacted.